Sunday, February 27, 2011

Relief

Oh, how I needed this time to recoup and recover before Megan arrives! If you are not a teacher, then you really cannot understand just how tiring the profession is. You are constantly working from 8-4 (and for me that looks more like 7-5). There are no breaks--mental or physical. You are constantly teaching, watching, mentoring, facilitating, talking, observing, creating, molding, assessing, meeting, and did I mention talking??? 

BUT...I dare not say that this is a thankless profession. On the contrary! Every day my students come in with a plethora of stories to share with me--their dog throwing up, the new Taylor Swift cd, what happened on the bus, their new baby brother or sister. The list is endless.  The conversations and relationships I build with my students, even if it only lasts 180 days, is more important to me than the the occassional "tooting of the horn" by a parent, whose motive can sometimes be blurry.

I say all of this because during the school year (and cheerleading season), my focus has not been on the pregnancy. It has been on everything else that seemingly needs immediate attention. This past week I've had all the time in the world to prepare for my little one. I was able to spend a lot of quality time with my sister.  We organized the nursery, returned duplicate gifts, went to lunch, shopped, and were silly together. I also have gotten a lot of alone time--which, if you know me, you know how much I value time to myself. It's been a great week of relief and contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment